7.7.11

Camera And Computers

I've been wanting to write about this for a while. I figured now I had a blog, I could say things from my point of view.

I am a beginner in Photography and even I know about the debate between photographers who rely solely on their camera skills and those who use computer programs to achieve different ideas. I am not siding with either as such but I do fall into the edits with a computer. There are reasons why though.

The reason personally is that I am very used to working that way. Computers were made so they were able to achieve these things that some people have yet to learn to do with a camera/not have the right equipment. My degree in animation was something I did with a lot of digital work and so that is easier for to comprehend. I have only had my camera for a month and a half. In that time I have improved in the actual taking of my photos but I enjoy experimenting with what I can do to photos to make them more interesting.

An example:


As you can see with this one, all I did was up the white and dark, using the curves in Photoshop. Nothing else was done to that photo it was a good photo the way it was. Some of the things that can be done in Photoshop though, I don't see as being able to do on a camera itself (certainly not on my D3000) Saying that though, I am learning to use my camera in manual mode, getting used to the setting and knowing what I need for shots so that over time I can cut down on the amount of Photoshopping I HAVE to do. I still WANT to play with some photos though.

An Example:



I love the composition of this photo but with it made into black and white it becomes so much more interesting with subtle changes in shades. Making photos black and white/grey scale is something that is acceptable to do with computers I think. It just adds a little bit of class and I think that change can make a photo.

Of course there are more edits you can do with photos to change the feel of a photo all together. These kind of edits I don't use all the time but I like to experiment as I don't have anything other than a computer to use to attempt anything in the actual photo taking process. I take macro photos in a little corner of my room, with two regular lights so I don't have much to work with. The English weather certainly doesn't help so even if I go outside and boost up the settings to get more light in my photo, that can only do so much.
Even with light outside, you can't always get the colour's you want for your photo. Sometimes the idea only comes to you after the photo and you put it onto a computer. I think this is where a computer and software shines. It makes the impossible possible after a shoot. Especially if your model has gone home for example.

An Example:



As you can see with this one the whole atmosphere is different. The reds and earthier colour's rather than greens give it a somewhat eerie feeling. It also ties in nicely with her dress in this particular photo.

So in some kind of conclusion, I am for both sides. Some would argue that I can't sit on the fence. Well I am. I would love to achieve perfect photos on my camera but I am new and am still learning. I have the basics of how to set up a photo and composition which is also a huge factor of taking a photo don't forget. I am going to use what I know to build upon but I don't think there is anything wrong with using what we have to help us achieve what we want.

I know that was very much from my own point of view but i think people forget that there are many different types of photographers out there, each with their own opinions, ideas and views. That is my insight into the whole issue and I hope one day to not have to use Photoshop as much.

Fiona

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment